System Type: Roof Top
Panel Type: Sharp ND-V230A1
Panel Count: 84
Inverter Type: SMA 6000US
System Size: 16 kW
City: San Diego
ARCHITECTS HGW's solar power system will produce enough clean electricity to offset any one of the following over the 25 year life of the system:
seedlings grown for 10 years.
gallons of gasoline consumed
bottles of BBQ propane burned.
First Net-Zero Energy Office Building in San Diego County
When the principals of ARCHITECTS hanna gabriel wells were looking to relocate their offices, they made a commitment to minimize their impact on the environment by targeting Net-Zero Energy use.
To achieve their goal, they converted an old auto body shop into a new state-of-the-art office building, becoming an example within the community for building re-use and environmentally sustainable re-development. The building is expertly designed to maximize energy efficiency, featuring emerging technologies such as solar thermal water heating, LED lighting and operable skylights. Through participation in San Diego Gas & Electric’s Sustainable Communities Program, the office hosts an SDG&E-owned 16 kW photovoltaic (PV) system on its roof, which provides renewable energy to the community. The PV system designed and installed by HelioPower, offsets 104% of the building’s energy use.
This building by and for ARCHITECTS hanna gabriel wells is an outstanding example of energy conservation, energy efficiency and renewable energy generation, making it the first Net-Zero office building in San Diego County.
With 84 solar modules from Sharp, the solar power system will produce 26,400 kilowatt hours (kWh) of renewable electricity per year.
- Project Start Date: 2-20-09
- Commissioning Date: 3-4-09
- Installation Time Frame: 2 weeks
- Modules: 84 Sharp ND-V230A1
- Standard Test Conditions (STC): 230W
- PV USA Rating (PTC): 203.2W
- Racking System: Sunlink
- Inverter Manufacturer: SMA
- Type: SMA 6000US
- CEC Weighted Efficiency: 95.5%
- Average Solar Resource: 5.5 hours
- System performance monitoring: Fat Spaniel
Environmental Offset Data (Estimated):
- Annual Carbon Dioxide Offset: 35,376 lbs
- Annual Nitrous Oxide Offset: 50.16 lbs
- Annual Sulfur Dioxide Offset: 126.72 lbs
- Equivalent to Miles Not Driven: 38,808
- Equivalent to Trees Planted: 52
Link to building site, click here.
Link to San Diego Gas & Electric, click here.
Photo Credits: ARCHITECTS hanna gabriel wells