Bob’s Big Boy
System Type: Roof Top
Panel Type: Canadian Solar CS6P-200PE
Panel Count: 132
Inverter Type: SMA 6000 and 3000
System Size: 22 kW
Bob's Big Boy's solar power system will produce enough clean electricity to offset any one of the following over the 25 year life of the system:
seedlings grown for 10 years.
gallons of gasoline consumed
bottles of BBQ propane burned.
The historic Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank celebrated its 60th birthday by going green. Bob’s has employed green strategies including recycling and energy efficient lighting and is now generating a portion of its own electricity with a new solar power system.
The Bob’s Big Boy solar power system utilizes 132 Canadian Solar CS6P 200 Modules in two installations, one on a large steel carport structure and the remaining on a flat commercial roof above the neighboring Starbucks. The system was designed and installed by Helio Energy Solutions.
With 132 solar modules from Canadian Solar, the solar power system will produce 39,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) of renewable electricity per year.
- Project Start Date: April 27, 2009
- Commissioning Date: May 15, 2009
- Installation Time Frame: Three weeks
- Modules: Canadian Solar CS6P-200PE
- Number of Photovoltaic Panels: 132
- Standard Test Conditions (STC): 200W
- PV USA Rating (PTC): 177
- Racking System: Prosolar
- Inverter Manufacturer: SMA
- Type: SMA 6000 and 3000
- CEC Weighted Efficiency: .96
- Average Solar Resource: 5.5
- Average Annual AC Production: 39,000 kWh/year
- System performance monitoring: Sunny Webbox
Environmental Offset Data:
- Estimated Annual Carbon Dioxide Offset: 52000 lbs
- Estimated Annual Nitrous Oxide Offset: 187 lbs
- Estimated Annual Sulfur Dioxide Offset: 74 lbs
History of Building
The Bob’s Big Boy Restaurant located at 4211 Riverside Drive in Burbank, California is the oldest remaining Bob’s Big Boy in the United States.
Over the years Bob’s has seen a parade of celebrity names stop by for a hamburger. Movie stars of old including Bob Hope, Mickey Rooney, Debbie Reynolds, Jonathan Winters and Dana Andrews have been regulars. From the Beatles to the Beach Boys, the restaurant has served some of the worlds’ top musical talent. The Friday Night classic car show regularly brings in celebrities like Jay Leno. Drew Carey is a well-known fan.
The MacDonald family has owned the Bob’s since 1949 and took over operations in 1993, the same year it was designated a California Point of Historical Interest.