Sony Electronics Inc.
System Type: Roof Top
Panel Type: Mitsubishi 185
Panel Count: 867
Inverter Type: (16) SMA 7000 and (5) SMA 5000
System Size: 160 kW
City: San Diego
Sony's solar power system will produce enough clean electricity to offset any one of the following over the 25 year life of the system:
seedlings grown for 10 years.
gallons of gasoline consumed
bottles of BBQ propane burned.
Solar Power System
The new green San Diego based headquarters for Sony Electronics Inc. is an energy-efficient building which incorporates LEED guidelines and includes a 160 kW Mitsubishi Electric solar power system installed by HelioPower and owned by San Diego Gas & Electric.
The building was built with an emphasis on employee comfort and energy efficiency. A 160-kilowatt (kW) DC Mitsubishi Electric panel solar power system was collaborated under the SDG&E Sustainable Communities Program and installed by HelioPower. The solar power system was installed on the employee parking structure, utilizing an innovative and attractive design which averted the need for space allocation for a large central inverter.
The 160kW DC installation consists of 867 Mitsubishi Electric 185-watt photovoltaic (PV) modules and is expected to produce 230,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity annually. In addition to the clean energy created by the solar panels, Mitsubishi Electric’s eco-friendly modules use 100-percent lead-free solder and are manufactured according to strict environmental standards.
One of the innovations was to meet the requirements for a covered parking structure with the solar power system installation. HelioPower was also able to integrate the 160 kW DC array with 21 field-distributed SMA inverters; eliminating the need for a large central unit for which space was not available.
- Project Start Date: 4-1-09
- Commissioning Date: 9-1-09
- Installation Time Frame: 5 weeks
- Modules: 867 Mitsubishi 185
- Racking System: Customized ProSolar on a parking trellis
- Inverter Manufacturer: SMA
- Type: (16) SMA 7000 and (5) SMA 5000
- Average Annual AC Production: 160kW DC and 137KW AC
- System performance monitoring: Helio EMS
Annual Environmental Offset Data:
- Estimated Annual Carbon Dioxide Offset: 308,200 lbs
- Estimated Annual Nitrous Oxide Offset: 437 lbs
- Estimated Annual Sulfur Dioxide Offset: 1104 lbs
- Equivalent miles not driven: 338,100
16530 Via Esprillo
San Diego, CA 92127